יום שישי, 4 ביוני 2010

שלח Sh'lach

My Musing
It was a terrible event. The meraglim, the spies, just returned and now the nation was too scared to take what was their God given gift. This week’s midrash, I believe, teaches us the eternity of God’s words. God has promised us the land, He promised it to our forefathers and the midrash explains will fulfill that promise in the years to come.

מדרש תנחומא (ורשא) פרשת שלח סימן ג
(במדבר יג:ב) "שְׁלַח לְךָ אֲנָשִׁים וְיָתֻרוּ אֶת אֶרֶץ כְּנַעַן אֲשֶׁר אֲנִי נֹתֵן לִבְנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל אִישׁ אֶחָד אִישׁ אֶחָד לְמַטֵּה אֲבֹתָיו תִּשְׁלָחוּ כֹּל נָשִׂיא בָהֶם"

'Send for you men, that they may spy out the land of Canaan, which I give unto the children of Israel; of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, every one a prince among them.'

רבי אחא הגדול פתח, (ישעיהו מ:ח) "יָבֵשׁ חָצִיר נָבֵל צִיץ וּדְבַר אֱלֹקֵינוּ יָקוּם לְעוֹלָם"
מה להדבר דומה? למלך שהיה לו אוהב, והתנה עמו, ואומר לו, 'בא ולך עמי ואני נותן לך מתנה.' הלך עמו ומת. אמר המלך לבנו של אוהבו, 'אף על פי שמת אביך, איני חוזר בי במתנה שאמרתי ליתן לו. בוא וטול אותה.' המלך, זה מלך מלכי המלכים הקדוש ברוך הוא. אוהב, זה אברהם (ישעיהו מא:ח) "וְאַתָּה יִשְׂרָאֵל עַבְדִּי יַעֲקֹב אֲשֶׁר בְּחַרְתִּיךָ זֶרַע אַבְרָהָם אֹהֲבִי"

Rabbi Achai the great opened, "The grass withers, the flower fades; but the word of our God shall stand for ever"
To what is this similar? To a king who had a close friend and agreed with him. 'Come with me and I will give you a gift.' He accompanied the king and he died. The king said to the son of his good deceased friend, 'even though your father died, I will not renege on my gift that I said that I woud give him. Come, take it yourself.'
The king, is the King of Kings, the Holy One, blessed be He. The good friend, that is Abraham "But thou, Israel, My servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham My friend"

אמר לו הקדוש ברוך הוא, 'בוא לך עמי', שנאמר, (בראשית יב:א) "וַיֹּאמֶר יְדֹוָד אֶל אַבְרָם לֶךְ לְךָ מֵאַרְצְךָוּמִמּוֹלַדְתְּךָ וּמִבֵּית אָבִיךָ אֶל הָאָרֶץ אֲשֶׁר אַרְאֶךָּ" התנה עמו שהוא נותן לו במתנה את ארץ כנען שנאמר, (בראשית יג:יז) "קוּם הִתְהַלֵּךְ בָּאָרֶץ לְאָרְכָּהּ וּלְרָחְבָּהּ כִּי לְךָ אֶתְּנֶנָּה"

Said the Holy One, blessed be He, 'Come with me', as it says, " And the LORD said to Abram, go for you from out of your country, and from your kindred, and from your father's house, unto the land that I will show thee. He promised him that he would give him the Land of Canaan as it says, "Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for unto thee will I give it."

וכן הוא אומר (בראשית יג:טו) "כִּי אֶת כָּל הָאָרֶץ אֲשֶׁר אַתָּה רֹאֶה לְךָ אֶתְּנֶנָּה וּלְזַרְעֲךָ עַד עוֹלָם"
מת אברהם, ויצחק, ויעקב. אמר לו הקדוש ברוך הוא למשה אף על פי שמתו האבות, התניתי עמהן ליתן להם את הארץ. איני חוזר בו אלא, "שְׁלַח לְךָ אֲנָשִׁים", "הוי וּדְבַר אֱלֹקֵינוּ יָקוּם לְעוֹלָם".

And similarly it says, "for all the land that you see, to you will I give it, and to thy seed for ever." Abraham passed away, Isaac and Jacob. Said the Holy One, blessed be He to Moshe, even though the patriarchs have died, I promised to them to give them the land. I will not renege on the agreement. That is "'Send for you men" that is "but the word of our God shall stand for ever"

אין תגובות: