יום שישי, 24 בפברואר 2012

Terumah תרומה

My Musing
The midrashim have been following a train of thought to understand what does it mean to take a gift for God who has everything and created everything. First the midrash asks us to understand that we do not own anything. Then the midrash takes us in another direction. Who benefits more- the one who receives or the one who gives and gets the benefit that the greater person accepted the gift.
מדרש תנחומא (ורשא) פרשת תרומה סימן ה
(שמות כה:ג-ד) "וְזֹאת הַתְּרוּמָה אֲשֶׁר תִּקְחוּ מֵאִתָּם זָהָב וָכֶסֶף וּנְחֹשֶׁת. וּתְכֵלֶת וְאַרְגָּמָן וְתוֹלַעַת שָׁנִי וְשֵׁשׁ וְעִזִּים. וְעֹרֹת אֵילִם מְאָדָּמִים וְעֹרֹת תְּחָשִׁים וַעֲצֵי שִׁטִּים. שֶׁמֶן לַמָּאֹר בְּשָׂמִים לְשֶׁמֶן הַמִּשְׁחָה וְלִקְטֹרֶת הַסַּמִּים”


And this is the offering which ye shall take of them: gold, and silver, and brass
and blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine linen, and goats' hair;
and rams' skins dyed red, and sealskins, and acacia-wood;
oil for the light, spices for the anointing oil, and for the sweet incense
אמר להו הקדוש ברוך הוא, 'אין אתם מביאין משלכם אלא מביזת הים שנתתי לכם.' שנאמר, (תהלים סח:יד) "אִם תִּשְׁכְּבוּן בֵּין שְׁפַתָּיִם כַּנְפֵי יוֹנָה נֶחְפָּה בַכֶּסֶף וְאֶבְרוֹתֶיהָ בִּירַקְרַק חָרוּץ"


Said the Holy One, Blessed be He, ‘You are not bringing from your own, rather from the spoils of the sea that I gave you’ As it says, “When ye lie among the sheepfolds, the wings of the dove are covered with silver, and her pinions with the shimmer of gold”
"וּתְכֵלֶת וְאַרְגָּמָן" תכלת שצובעין אותו בדם, זכר לאות שכבר התקינו אבות העולם תולעת. שנאמר, (ישעיהו מא:יד) "אַל תִּירְאִי תּוֹלַעַת יַעֲקֹב מְתֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל אֲנִי עֲזַרְתִּיךְ נְאֻם יְדֹוָד וְגֹאֲלֵךְ קְדוֹשׁ יִשְׂרָאֵל"
"וְעֹרֹת אֵילִם" בזכות יעקב שנאמר (בראשית כז:טז) "וְאֵת עֹרֹת גְּדָיֵי הָעִזִּים הִלְבִּישָׁה עַל יָדָיו וְעַל חֶלְקַת צַוָּארָיו"


“and blue, and purple” The azure blue that is dyed with blood, a reminder of the sign that the patriarchs established the world worm. As it says, “Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I help thee, saith the LORD, and thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.”
“and rams' skins dyed red” in the merit of Jacob as it says, “And she put the skins of the kids of the goats upon his hands, and upon the smooth of his neck.”

אמר הקדוש ברוך הוא, 'השמים ושמי השמים לא יכלכלו אותי, ואשרה שכינתי בתוך עורות גדיי עזים.'


Said the Holy One, blessed be He, ‘The heavens and the firmament above the heavens will not support me and I will leave my dwelling within the skins of the goats’

דבר אחר: " וּתְכֵלֶת וְאַרְגָּמָן", " וְעֹרֹת אֵילִם", [ו]" שֶׁמֶן לַמָּאֹר", אמר רבי יהודה ב"ר סימון, אמר הקדוש ברוך הוא לישראל, 'לא תהיו סבורים שאתם גומלים עלי י"ג דברים שהפרשתם לי, כנגד י"ג דברים שעשיתי לכם במצרים. ואלו הן:(יחזקאל טז:י-יב) "וָאַלְבִּישֵׁךְ רִקְמָה וָאֶנְעֲלֵךְ תָּחַשׁ וָאֶחְבְּשֵׁךְ בַּשֵּׁשׁ וַאֲכַסֵּךְ מֶשִׁי. וָאֶעְדֵּךְ עֶדִי וָאֶתְּנָה צְמִידִים עַל יָדַיִךְ וְרָבִיד עַל גְּרוֹנֵךְ. וָאֶתֵּן נֶזֶם עַל אַפֵּךְ וַעֲגִילִים עַל אָזְנָיִךְ וַעֲטֶרֶת תִּפְאֶרֶת בְּרֹאשֵׁךְ" (יחזקאל טז:יט) "וְלַחְמִי אֲשֶׁר נָתַתִּי לָךְ סֹלֶת וָשֶׁמֶן וּדְבַשׁ הֶאֱכַלְתִּיךְ וּנְתַתִּיהוּ לִפְנֵיהֶם לְרֵיחַ נִיחֹחַ וַיֶּהִי נְאֻם אֲדֹנָי יְדֹוִד"


Another idea: “and blue, and purple” “and rams' skins” [and] “oil for the light” Said Rabbi Yehudah bar Simon, said the Holy One, blessed be He, to Israel. ‘Do not think that you are bestowing me with these thirteen items that you have set aside for me, are parallel to the thirteen things I did for you in Egypt. And they are: “I clothed thee also with richly woven work, and shod thee with sealskin, and I wound fine linen about thy head, and covered thee with silk. I decked thee also with ornaments, and I put bracelets upon thy hands, and a chain on thy neck. And I put a ring upon thy nose, and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thy head.” “My bread also which I gave thee, fine flour, and oil, and honey, wherewith I fed thee, thou didst even set it before them for a sweet savour, and thus it was; saith the Lord GOD.”
הוי כנגד י"ג דברים שהפרשתם לי ואני מעלה עליכם שאתם גומלים עלי. אמר דוד (תהלים יג:ו) "וַאֲנִי בְּחַסְדְּךָ בָטַחְתִּי יָגֵל לִבִּי בִּישׁוּעָתֶךָ אָשִׁירָה לַידֹוָד כִּי גָמַל עָלָי" ולעולם הבא אני פורע לכם כנגד י"ג דברים אלו. (ישעיהו ד:ה-ו) "וּבָרָא יְדֹוָד עַל כָּל מְכוֹן הַר צִיּוֹן וְעַל מִקְרָאֶהָ עָנָן יוֹמָם וְעָשָׁן וְנֹגַהּ אֵשׁ לֶהָבָה לָיְלָה כִּי עַל כָּל כָּבוֹד חֻפָּה. וְסֻכָּה תִּהְיֶה לְצֵל יוֹמָם מֵחֹרֶב וּלְמַחְסֶה וּלְמִסְתּוֹר מִזֶּרֶם וּמִמָּטָר"
אתם פורעים לי ואני מעלה עליכם כגומלים עלי וכתיב בתריה (ישעיהו ה:א) "אָשִׁירָה נָּא לִידִידִי שִׁירַת דּוֹדִי לְכַרְמוֹ כֶּרֶם הָיָה לִידִידִי בְּקֶרֶן בֶּן שָׁמֶן" הוי "אָשִׁירָה לַידֹוָד כִּי גָמַל עָלָי"


They are parallel to the thirteen things that you separated for me and I consider it as if you gave it to Me. Said David, “But as for me, in Thy generosity do I trust; my heart shall rejoice in Thy salvation. I will sing unto the LORD, because He hath dealt bountifully with me.” And in the world to come I will pay you for those thirteen things. “And the LORD will create over the whole habitation of mount Zion, and over her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night; for over all the glory shall be a canopy. And there shall be a pavilion for a shadow in the day-time from the heat, and for a refuge and for a covert from storm and from rain.”
You pay me and I consider it as if you have given it to me and it is written later, “Let me sing of my well-beloved, a song of my beloved touching his vineyard. My well-beloved had a vineyard in a very fruitful hill;” that is “. I will sing unto the LORD, because He hath dealt bountifully with me.”

אין תגובות: